On Jan. 30, 2014, Franklin Elementary celebrated one hundred years of learning, inviting former teachers and principals to a special assembly filled with memories, trivia, and excitement for the future.
Constructed in 1913, Franklin Elementary opened its doors Jan. 5, 1914. The 1913 building was remodeled in 1951 and an addition added. In 1994 that building was razed and a new school built, opening in the fall of 1995.
To celebrate Franklin’s long history, the school invited former teachers, principals and other staff members to assemblies with students and current staff. Among those present were Denny Eige, Julianne Paustian, Patrick Kremer, Lori Diggins, Larry Soderberg, Becky Mounsdon, Glenda Barton, Ann Jass, Joyce Anderegg, Sandy Vas, Duane Meyer, Nancy VanWyk, Josette Peterson and Anne Paullus.
The former Franklin staff talked about their years teaching in the school and teamed up with current students to play a trivia game with facts from Franklin – past and present.
Franklin’s centennial was featured in the January 2014 Marshall Times magazine, a supplement of the Marshalltown Times-Republican. To view that feature click here.
Check out a video from one of the assemblies Jan. 30 below or by visiting the Marshalltown Community School District YouTube Channel.